Friday 3 June 2011

Leave My Castle Alone!!!

So I just read this provoking little piece on the net - http://www.news.com.au/money/tax-time/higher-tax-call-for-mcmansion-dwellers/story-fn8qmzek-1226068683960 - about taxing people who own energy guzzling McMansions. There are 2 things that really get my blood boiling on this topic.


Firstly - WHO THE HELL CAME UP WITH THE WORD McMansion???!!!! Honestly people, it's just lame!


Secondly - I'm all for energy efficiency and trying to reduce our carbon footprint through stricter building standards and product ratings etc, but I should still be able to build a house to be what I want it to be and to have what I want in it! As long as I'm not interferring with the neighbours, my home IS my castle and I shouldn't be penalised for it. As long as I can afford to make the repayments and pay the bills (especially the power bill!) then I shouldn't be penalised for having 3, 4 or even 5 TV's in the different rooms of my house.
     What happened to Australia being the lucky country? It sure doesn't feel lucky when people start suggesting that AVERAGE people get taxed for living too comfortably. Once upon a time the big aussie dream was to have the quarter acre with double brick home, but I reckon thats evolved. People aren't so interested in the size of the block anymore, as the usability of their home! Bigger homes on smaller blocks will use more power but also save space and reduce water consumption (smaller gardens & yards), and I think it should be up to the energy sector to be smart enough to broaden their power sources with cleaner options (especially in WA where there is no choice in who provides your power). Market competitiveness is the biggest driver of technology and the onus should be on energy providers to do the work. Even if that means higher energy costs, at least it's fair to everyone then. The more you use, the more you pay. Simple as that. If you can't afford it, don't use it. We've done our part in building greener homes with cheaper running tech inside, so don't burden us with the insult of not being able to do what we want with our castles!


Rant over.

No comments:

Post a Comment